Saturday, February 27, 2016

women as background decoration 2

In watching this video I thought about all the games that I have played and how the concept of exploitation of women is almost as old as the damsels in distress narrative. I remember one of the first games that I played that was really waged war on me psychologically and I didn't even know was a game called Duke Nukem. Still one of the most misogynistic, patriarchal games I have EVER played. But the popularity of the game (9 in total) does say something about our society. I would argue that the lack of epidemiological empathy for victims in the rape culture does have a tie in to the sexualized violence enacted in the games going back as far as 1991. There is generations of gamers who are in taking all of this. There will be some effect.

Kirk

No comments:

Post a Comment