Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Snow Day Board Games

On a typical weekday day in mid-January during 3rd grade I woke up and saw white covering my whole window. I ran down the stairs and found my mother watching the news to see the school closings running across the bottom of the screen. I waited a couple of minutes and finally saw the name of my school go by. In my mind I screamed, "IT'S A SNOW DAY!!!". Now as a child I always loved playing in the snow, but this snow day I had an idea of something else I wanted to add to my (not) busy schedule; I wanted to play a board game! I went into the basement and dug out my favorite boardgames, The Game of Life. I've always been into the sort of role-playing types of games. I took every little piece out and set it all up on a table. After everything was ready, I went back upstairs and announced my great idea to my family. For some reason, they weren't as excited as I was. My father told me that he had to shovel, my middle-school aged brother just wanted to lay on the couch and watch TV, and my mother seemed to feel bad and said she wanted to play with me. To my 8-year old mind, that wasn't enough. I wanted everyone to play. Two players just wouldn't be as fun as it would be with four players. It took at least an hour of waiting and convincing for my father and brother to FINALLY agree to play. Playing the game with my whole family made my day and I haven't forgotten about it since, even 11 years later.

Regina LaPietra

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! What about the game of life appealed to you? How did the game play out with all of your family members? We will have a "board game" day later -- life would be great for you to bring!

    ReplyDelete