Sunday, January 31, 2016

Road Rage

ROAD RAGE


Being the youngest child of three, by seven years, growing up in my household was quite the experience. I had always wanted to be more like my brother than my sister which sparked my liking for video games. He owned one game in particular that I was, and still am, quite fond of: The Simpsons Road Rage. The game is based on the animated sitcom The Simpsons that my whole family used to sit down and watch together.

Because I was little, I had no real idea of how inappropriate the game was, but I can remember pulling up chairs from the kitchen table, moving them too close to the TV, turning on the game, and being entertained for hours. Throughout there are multiple challenges assigned and races you must win, but I think I had the most fun ignoring some of the challenges for a while and driving Homer around carefully, stopping at stoplights or stop signs, and exploring the shortcuts Springfield offered me. That was the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing as indicated in the title of the game. It was fun for me to go back and forth between driving carefully and recklessly, driving into telephone poles and through people's lawns, then outrunning the cops.

There was one race I had the most fun with against Mr. Burns trying to make it to Lisa and Bart's school before he did. The exact details are escaping me now, but there were specific shortcuts that I loved taking such as smashing through the side of someone's house to fly onto a new section of road right near the school long before Mr. Burns would ever hope to arrive. The commentary by the characters during this race always seemed to make me laugh.

The game created a lot of excitement for me. It was one of my favorite things to do when I would get home from school. I have a lot of fond memories playing it with my brother or my good friends.

Allie Provost

Sent from Windows Mail

1 comment:

  1. I love this line: I think I had the most fun ignoring some of the challenges for a while and driving Homer around carefully, stopping at stoplights or stop signs, and exploring the shortcuts Springfield offered me. That was the opposite of what I was supposed to be doing as indicated in the title of the game. It was fun for me to go back and forth between driving carefully and recklessly, driving into telephone poles and through people's lawns, then outrunning the cops. It sounds like the game had a built-in assumption or option to be able to play it the way you often did. I'm trying to think of other games where this is also possible (lots of different types of gameplay/goals)...

    ReplyDelete